Place architecture:design is an award-winning, full-service, custom residential architectural firm. Our expertise lies in providing innovative design while managing the complexities of the construction process. Our collaborative approach with our clients, consultants, and craftspeople generate creative ideas that strive to fulfill the passions of the families who inhabit our projects.
Engagement with the natural world is at the forefront of our thought process. Our approach focuses on respecting the land during all phases of design to ensure we bring the outside into the spaces we create. Designing with the environment in mind, we make a conscious effort to help reduce the carbon footprint by introducing renewable energy alternatives, adopting green roofs and utilizing sustainable material choices. We are proponents of building less square-footage, without compromising the quality of life.
Place Architecture:Design is based in Baltimore serving the Mid-Atlantic region, including Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, New Jersey and can also be found dotting North America with projects in Canada and
We have been making clients happy since 2005. We are passionate about what we do and enjoy working with interesting people. Give us a call, we would love to talk to you!
Laurie JB Stubb, AIA, is an award winning residential architect with over 30 years of experience designing new and existing homes. Principal of Place architecture:design, her process is rooted in a modern approach with a love for Mid-Century architecture, aesthetics and values. Adapting Mid-Century design to the 21st century is at the heart of our work. Her personal and pragmatic approach, meticulous attention to detail and ability to listen, set her apart in her ability to connect with her clients.
She is a member of the American Institute of Architects and the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards and has partnered with Habitat for Humanity to assist in designing energy efficient homes. Laurie earned her Bachelor and Master of Architecture degrees from the University of Maryland, College Park.
I pride myself in offering personal attention from start to finish, and serving as my client’s advocate throughout the process.
We begin each project by listening to our clients and asking many questions. Our design-expertise and problem-solving skills, for budgeting and scope coordination, help give our clients options and promote discussion. Good communication is an important part of our process. We believe in creative, one of a kind designs that are unique to each client. Your home is a reflection of who you are.
Phase I – SCHEMATIC DESIGN
- Investigate multiple design options with the client’s budget in mind
- Review local code requirements and setback information
- Select design direction
Phase II – DESIGN DEVELOPMENT
- Develop selected ideas from schematic design drawings
- Determine finishes and materials for preliminary specification
- Acquire preliminary pricing from contractors
Phase III – CONTRACT DOCUMENTS
- Finalize design details, select fixtures and finishes
- Prepare drawings for construction and permits
- Coordination with the Structural Engineer
Phase IV- BID PHASE
- Obtain bids or a negotiated contract for project
Phase V – CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION
- Visit site at regular intervals, to review progress + quality of contractor’s work
- Review general conformance to our contract documents
- Respond to contractors’ questions and provide solutions
- Review contractors applications for payment
- Prepare final ‘punch list’ of work to be completed