Place architecture:design is an award-winning, full-service, custom residential architectural firm. We create thoughtful, relevant design solutions that foster emotional and meaningful connections between our clients and the spaces they inhabit. With sensitivity to scale, proportion and daylight, our holistic design approach pushes the boundaries of merging indoor living and outdoor experience in the mid Atlantic region.
We take seriously our responsibility to reduce the carbon footprint in our projects by introducing renewable energy alternatives, tighter building envelopes, and sustainable and sustainably sourced materials. In the spirit of true Mid-century architecture, we are proponents of building less square footage without compromising the quality of life.
We believe design excellence is achieved through a collaborative environment in which we co-create with our clients. Relationships built on trust, attentive listening, and creative problem-solving are the key to the success of our projects.
We are passionate about what we do and enjoy working with interesting people. We have been making clients happy since 2005. Give us a call, we would love to talk to you!
Laurie JB Stubb, AIA, is an award winning residential architect with over 30 years of experience designing new and existing homes. Principal of Place architecture:design, her process is rooted in a modern approach with a love for Mid-Century architecture, aesthetics and values. Adapting Mid-Century design to the 21st century is at the heart of our work. Her personal and pragmatic approach, meticulous attention to detail and ability to listen, set her apart in her ability to connect with her clients.
She is a member of the American Institute of Architects and the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards and has partnered with Habitat for Humanity to assist in designing energy efficient homes. A conversation about her work and design philosophy have been featured in Voyage Baltimore. Laurie earned her Bachelor and Master of Architecture degrees from the University of Maryland, College Park.
I pride myself in offering personal attention from start to finish, and serving as my client’s advocate throughout the process.
We begin each project by listening to our clients and asking many questions. Our design-expertise and problem-solving skills, for budgeting and scope coordination, help give our clients options and promote discussion. Good communication is an important part of our process. We believe in creative, one of a kind designs that are unique to each client. Your home is a reflection of who you are.
Phase I – SCHEMATIC DESIGN
- Investigate multiple design options with the client’s budget in mind
- Review local code requirements and setback information
- Select design direction
Phase II – DESIGN DEVELOPMENT
- Develop selected ideas from schematic design drawings
- Determine finishes and materials for preliminary specification
- Acquire preliminary pricing from contractors
Phase III – CONTRACT DOCUMENTS
- Finalize design details, select fixtures and finishes
- Prepare drawings for construction and permits
- Coordination with the Structural Engineer
Phase IV- BID PHASE
- Obtain bids or a negotiated contract for project
Phase V – CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION
- Visit site at regular intervals, to review progress + quality of contractor’s work
- Review general conformance to our contract documents
- Respond to contractors’ questions and provide solutions
- Review contractors applications for payment
- Prepare final ‘punch list’ of work to be completed